Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tru's Good Fortune

The day that Tru had his cast removed he was fitted for his first prosthesis at a company named Dankmeyer. The director of Dankmeyer, Mark, was also kind enough to see Tru back in November, 2007 well before his surgery. Both of these visits have been free of charge. Dankmeyer is considered “out of network” with our insurance company.

Since his surgery last month, Tru has a case worker to handle any needs he might have. She advised me against visiting Dankmeyer for Tru’s prosthesis fitting because it would not be covered by our insurance. Dankmeyer informed me that they have worked with our insurance company in the past without problem. I knew that I wanted to work with Dankmeyer so we moved forward with them.

I received a call last Friday that our insurance company would not cover Tru if he continued treatment at Dankmeyer. They gave me the name and number of another company that could handle Tru’s needs. I dropped everything and took Tru there yesterday. The man we met with was very nice but the visit started going downhill quickly. First of all they did not have the supplies there that were needed to cast a child Tru’s age. They had never dealt with a child this young. Red flag! Then he proceeded to tell me that he does not work at that office and the person taking over the office does not start working for the company until April 1st. Then the new person would need to be trained for several weeks before they could start on Tru’s case. What?! I instantly told him, “That is not going to work and Tru is not waiting for anyone. Tru is ready to walk now.”

On the way home from our wasted trip I called the case manager and explained that we would not be working with that company. She was very surprised to hear my comments and said she would look into it. I told her to please speak with her supervisors again. Dankmeyer was ready, willing and able to make Tru’s prosthesis now. I also contacted Tru’s surgeon’s office to tell them of the hard time I was having and asked for their assistance by writing a letter to the insurance company on Tru’s behalf.

This morning the case manager called to offer me two other companies to contact about Tru’s needs. She reiterated that we were not going to be able to use Dankmeyer. I called the first location and they wanted Tru to come in for a consultation, then a fitting, then measurements, then they would have to order the supplies for his casting, etc. I told them to forget it. Then I called the second location. They seemed to have the supplies needed to care for pediatric patients but the problem was that the guy Tru would need to see is only there once a week. I made an appointment with them but the earliest they come see him was 8 days from now. Wasted time!!

I called the case manager again to tell her of my conversations and how incredibly unhappy I was with Tru’s options. I told her that I felt Tru was not getting the care he deserved. He could be one week away from walking and the insurance company is insisting on sending us from one place to the next for inferior care and at the same time wasting precious time. Of course I realize the case manager is only doing her job and I can appreciate that. At the same time I seemed to be the only one who knew what was best for Tru.

OK… Here’s the good part……

This afternoon, after the disheartening morning on the phone, I received a call from Mark at Dankmeyer. He said they do work with my insurance company but apparently Tru is being treated under a special part of the insurance plan for which they have never worked. As of today, our insurance company is starting the paperwork process to approve Dankmeyer for that particular part. However, the paperwork could take weeks or months to be completed.
Mark said, “I know you have been having a hard time with your insurance company and we are trying everything we can to work with them. I also know that Tru saw another prosthesis company yesterday and I would never recommend you take Tru to them. I have spoken with Mr. Dankmeyer, the owner of our company, and he would like you to bring Tru in right away so we can begin making his leg. We will bill your insurance company once the paperwork is all done. If they choose not to pay the costs we want you to know that we will not bill you for anything. We just want to make Tru’s leg and get him up and walking. I will be speaking with our lab today to see how fast we can make this happen. Stand by.”

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say I was speechless. All I could say was “thank you” and do my best to hold back the tears. I could not wait to call Dallas. I woke him up but it was worth it.
Then… I got to call the case manager. She was also speechless. I told her, “I told you Tru deserved the best and that Dankmeyer was the right place for him.” She said, “Apparently you were right. Someone must really be looking out for little Tru.”

Yes He is and He has once again blessed us all!

Oh Happy Day!

2 comments:

Becky, Drew and Luci said...

Very good news!! Won't be long before he's full speed ahead! Lots of hug, kisses, love and warm fuzzies!!!

Dan and Tina said...

OMG Jody!
Tears of joy here too!! So very happy for Tru! He deserves the very BEST! You are a wonderful mother and a remarkable advocate for your son. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!