Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

This was Tru's first Easter. He was not impressed....
We made the traditional trip to the mall yesterday to see the Easter Bunny. Waiting in lines is not Tru's thing! During the wait he was very anxious to go to the Easter Bunny and insisted on having a direct view of him. Once it was finally our turn for a photo Tru started crying. The photography staff was very patient and worked with him and he finally agreed to sit in the bunny's lap. But he was not going to smile!
Lin-Ley of course... well she struck a pose as usual.

While waiting in line, Ma-Ma Shirley held our place while I walked the kids around.
We had drinks, snacks and snapped a few extra photos.

































Surprise, surprise - the Easter Bunny came to our house last night.








After prying the candy out of Lin-Ley's little hands, she and I went to Easter services this morning. Tru has not been feeling well so he stayed home with Ma-Ma Shirley.

Lin-Ley participated with the children's choir this morning. You can count on her to always be looking at the camera.







After the service and lunch there was a big Easter egg hunt on the grounds. The younger kids all gathered in the sanctuary while the youth hid the eggs. There really is no way to hide the eggs so they basically evenly distributed them all over the grounds. The kids were split up into three age groups and each group had their own area to hunt eggs.
While waiting the kids watched a short movie and then put their names in a box for door prizes. The second name drawn.... Lin-Ley.
The anticipation was unbearable!










Can you guess who was the first one to the field? They "hid" over 700 eggs.
Each child was limited to 15 eggs. Of course each egg contained candy. We made it home with 25 eggs!





Week In Review:
Last Sunday Tru began feeling ill and started running a fever. I was able to control it with Tylenol but it kept returning. After three days of a on again - off again fever I decided to have him checked out. I called his primary care doctor and of course she could not see him. What a shocker! The triage nurse called me and told me to have him seen to make sure that the fever was not associated with his most recent surgery. She referred me to a local urgent care clinic. I called the clinic and they said they would not see Tru due to his amputation. They wanted him to see his surgeon. By this time it was around 3PM. Although I felt it was unnecessary, I called the surgeon's office. They asked about his leg and I told them that the wound looked great and I really did not feel that the fever had anything to do with his leg. The surgeon's office agreed that they did not need to see Tru. I called the urgent care clinic back to tell them of my conversation with Tru's surgeon. Still, they told me that they would not see or treat Tru. I could not believe it!
So, I had to make a decision. Did I want to give Tru more time or have him seen now? I just had to have him seen to make sure he did not have an infection of any sort due to his leg. His fever had just spiked to 104.3 and I could not take any chances.
We picked up Lin-Ley from the school bus and headed to the emergency room of the hospital where Tru had surgery. Luckily he was seen quickly and it was determined that his leg looked great and that he must have an upper respiratory infection. No medicine. But... we were in and out of the ER in under 2 hours!
This all transpired on Tuesday. Fast forward to Friday.
Tru was still running a fever. Tylenol would bring it down but it was not staying down. After work on Friday I picked up Tru while Lin-Ley stayed home with Ma-Ma Shirley. Tru and I headed to Walter Reed. By that time he had been running a fever for 6 days. Tru was seen by a young resident and she thought he might have an ear infection. Then the senior doctor came in and decided that he did not have an infection and was prepared to send Tru home with more Tylenol. I said, "Please, won't you consider giving him an antibiotic. I drove all the way here in the hopes that you would." The doctor looked and me and said, "Well.... I guess I could convince myself that he has an ear infection." Score! Tru got the Amoxicillin that he needed. He is on the mend.
So two more trips to the emergency room! But the unbelievable part is that both visits were only a combined duration of 3.5 hours!

Night, night Easter Bunny!

No comments: