Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lin-Ley's Ponderings

This past weekend Lin-Ley had many thoughts and observations of which I took a mental note. I have been thinking about how mature some of her comments sounded and I continue to wonder how, at the age of five, she knows so much and has such a great sense of reasoning. I guess it is true that kids are like little sponges. (Note: Airborne is our dog, and Lil' Bill is our bunny who recently "ran away".) Following is some of her banter:

(#3) "Mom, I think I'm ready to get engaged but I don't want to get married yet."

(#2) "Mom, I think we should go back to China. I need a big sister. I want to name her Auntie Gabby Herpin." (My sister's name is Gabby.)

And...

(#1) Lin-Ley, Tru and I (Jody) were all in the same room together but doing our own thing. Lin-Ley began talking to Tru:
"Tru, my skin is more brown than yours. But we both have black eyes like Daddy. Airborne and Lil' Bill have black eyes too." Then Lin-Ley looked over at me, walked toward me, looked into my eyes and said, "Mom, you are the only one in our family with blue eyes. Everyone else has black eyes." Then she patted me on the back, made a face as if she were trying to comfort me and said, "Mom, it's ok that you are different from us. God made everybody different."

All of this time we have made a conscious effort to make sure Lin-Ley never felt "different". It was me that was different all along!! I'm fine with that!


A photo of Lil' Bill on the day he came home from the fair.
Happy trails little guy. You were a great bunny!



P.S. Lin-Ley said she was going to get another bunny when the fair comes again. She is going to try to find one with blue eyes!

1 comment:

Renee said...

Aww, she sounds so sweet. And very smart and insightful too!