Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Quiet Christmas

It was a quiet Christmas this year but it was still filled with lots of nice (and some naughty) things. I set my alarm clock to get up early so that I would have time to start my computer and set it up so that Dallas could see the kids opening their gifts via the webcam. I had hardly pushed the power button on my computer when I heard footsteps running across Lin-Ley’s room. I had to stop her at the top of the stairs because I needed time to get Dallas online and we had to wake up Tru for his first Christmas. Lin-Ley did not take this delay very well! Finally I had everything set up: Dallas was online, the video camera was ready and Tru was awake so I gave Lin-Ley the ok to come downstairs.

Lin-Ley ran over to her gifts, stopped, and said, “Where is my teddy bear? Santa did not bring me a teddy bear!” Just to backtrack a little bit – Lin-Ley did not decide she wanted a teddy bear from Santa until about a week before Christmas. By coincidence Dallas had already sent her a teddy bear as his Christmas gift. So I thought it would be ok that Santa did not bring a teddy bear because it would be even better that Daddy sent one. Well… several days later she could not be more thrilled with her U.S. Army teddy bear. On Christmas morning however it took a while to understand why Santa did not bring it. After opening all of her gifts (as well as Tru’s gifts) she got over the whole teddy bear “incident” and enjoyed her toys (as well as Tru’s toys).

Tru scooted right over to his Little People Garage. He was not worried about anything going on around him or any other gifts. We handed him the gifts that needed to be unwrapped and he just turned away and began playing with his garage. At least Santa got something right!



During the gift discovery and unwrapping Dallas and I were in constant computer failure. We do not know if the problem was at this end or that end but he did not see or hear much of Christmas morning. Unfortunately due to the computer problems I did not get much video and no pictures until later in the day. We finally gave up on the computer and I called Dallas’ cell phone.
It was around 4PM his time and he had been visiting with his crew making sure everyone was ok. It was a rather depressing day for everyone there and many had a very, very tough day. However as you can see from this photo of their conference room table, many friends, family and even some strangers have been very generous by sending gifts and goodies to their offices.
















After playtime, breakfast, playtime, lunch and playtime... it was rest time. We have to call it rest time rather than nap time because a certain 5-year-old never wants to take a nap. So Tru napped, I tried to nap and Lin-Ley “rested” in between her visits to my room to ask if it was time to wake up yet! After rest time it was play time again. While the kids were occupied I decided to go upstairs and wash the bed sheets. First Lin-Ley’s room – now I mentioned some naughty behavior in the first sentence – remember?....
So I lifted Lin-Ley’s pillow and found many small toys underneath. That is nothing unusual. However I saw lots of shiny paper amongst the toys. I counted and there were 14 pieces of shiny paper to be exact. Well… the shiny paper turned out to be gum wrappers. (Santa had brought Lin-Ley some gum in her stocking.) I called Lin-Ley up to her room. Before she even took the first step up the stairs she asked, “Am I in trouble?” She walked in and I showed her the gum wrappers. She grinned and looked down. I asked her if she chewed all of the gum. She said yes. I asked where the gum was and she pointed to her stomach. She swallowed 14 pieces of gum!! I have no idea what she was thinking but I guess she enjoyed rest time!

Speaking of the little angel, Lin-Ley made Dallas and me a Christmas card at school. I took these photos of the card to send Dallas.











Given her age and the fact that she is only in Kindergarten I thought the spelling was pretty good! (You can click on the photo to enlarge it and then click the “back” button to get back to this page.)




Priceless! (And yes Lin-Ley, we are already planning a family vacation to the Happiest Place on Earth immediately upon Daddy’s return!)

No comments: